Inventory - a Geovictwardian checklist
Inspired by the student handbook's to do list, I decided to produce a Geovictwardian interpretation:-
Before you arrive
Before you arrive
- Pre-select Complementary Study Modules. Those courses which lend themselves best to the Geovictwardian lifestyle include those which embrace the finest aspects of modern technology (Computer Programming, Using IT, Website Construction, Inventions in Society etc); philosophical skills (Human and Moral Agency, Philosophical Topics, Critical thinking etc) ; social and political skills (Entrepeneurship, Representing Students, Strategic Thinking); or the arts (Drama, Creative Writing, Journalism, etc). Over exposure to foreign cultures (such as modern languages); complex mathematical and scientific courses; or anything dealing with complex financial management (especially since many great historical dandies lived splendidly and in serious debt - like most students in fact) are best avoided.
- Print Calling Cards. Although most universities provide a student ID card, no self respecting lady or gentleman would leave without this far more elegant form of identification.
- Reject Student Loan. Not compulsory, as it is equally acceptable to spend this securing the finest accomadation, or through drinking and gambling, a more genuine Geovictwardian approach is to have wealthy relatives pay your way through university, or take up an appropriate job to pay for it yourself.
When you arrive:
- Collect Keys, Furnish Residence Elegantly. On arrival, a Geovictwardian will furnish his or her residence with such neccessities as clocks, hat stands, mirrors etc. This will be covered in greater detail in a later entry.
- Announce your arrival. During the Regency, any new person of substance arriving in an area would announce his or herself by distributing calling cards to anyone of social standing, and inviting especially worthy individuals to a reception with fine drinks. An excellent way to introduce yourself to your new community is to do likewise - a simple yet elegant calling card bearing your name and room number slipped beneath each door in your block works admirably.
- Locate essential local establishments and soirees. To live life to the full a Geovictwardian, like any student, must discover the location and opening of essential venues such as local pubs in town, the best SU bars and restaurants, live comedy/rock or jazz music/cabaret nights.